Have a lot of pre-owned items that you don’t use anymore? Do you wanna make extra income by selling used products but don’t know where to start? We got you covered!
Amazon is the world’s biggest e-commerce platform that generated over 130 billion US dollars worth of revenue worldwide in 2023 alone. And with the right knowledge, you can have your own slice of this pie by selling used items.
But remember, this is not some get rich quick scheme. You need to put in the time and effort to turn a profit. Fortunately, it has never been easier for new sellers to hop on the platform and start doing business.
So how do you get started? And why should you choose Amazon?
Why sell on Amazon?
There are plenty of e-commerce platforms you can sell used items on like eBay, Facebook Marketplace, or Craigslist. However, none of them can match the customer base and the quality of service provided by Amazon. With over 310 million active users as of 2024, there’s no shortage of opportunities for you to find your market and grow your own business. Selling on Amazon is a very low risk way to enter the world of e-commerce since it’s a trusted platform with several measurements in place to protect the interests of both sellers and customers alike. And we’re gonna show you how to get started in a few easy steps.
Selling Used Items
Unlike most online selling platforms, Amazon only has a specific category of products that you can sell as used. This is to uphold the highest quality of standards when it comes to what they provide their customers. You can check out the full list of categories here.
What items sell best on Amazon?
There’s no definite way to predict which items sell best on Amazon since it all depends on market trends and customer preferences.That said, there are some products that tend to sell well despite the circumstances.
- Electronics - Used or pre-owned gadgets like smartphones, video game consoles, laptops, cameras, and other appliances are always in high demand. They usually sell well especially if the items are certified in good condition.
- Collectibles - Vintage toys, action figures, and other niche collectibles get decent sales especially if you come across something rare. Dedicated communities are willing to pay a lot of money for these items.
- Books & Media - Similar to collectibles, rare novels, textbooks, classic DVDs, and limited edition blu-ray discs can be sold at a pretty high price as collectors often look for these items.
- Home Decor & Furniture - Decorations and furniture have great appeal for buyers looking to add a little flair to their own homes.
One of the best features you can take advantage of when selling on this platform is Amazon Renewed. It’s a program specifically designed to sell certified high quality pre-owned products that passed Amazon’s eligibility criteria. It’s a great system that is a win-win for both buyers and sellers. Sellers get to establish trust with customers, reach a wider audience, and have reduced competition because of stricter quality standards. While buyers get the Amazon guarantee that the product they're getting is like-new or in very good condition at a discounted price.
Where can I find used items to sell?
Having a hard time looking for used items to sell? There are plenty of ways to source used items without even having to leave the comfort of your own home.
- Buy from online markets. Look no further than Amazon. If you’re resourceful enough, you can find good deals for products you can resell. Just make sure you’re not stepping on other sellers. You can also check around other platforms like eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist.
- Look at your unused stuff at your home. Have a lot of stuff at home? Why not declutter? See if there are good items around your house that are good enough to be sold at a decent price.
- Check for sales around your area. Another good way of sourcing used items is checking local flea markets, garage sales, or thrift shops. You’ll never know what kind of good items you can find this way.
These are all good options when it comes to sourcing items. You just have to be strategic with the items you’re going to purchase.
Now it’s time to list your products up for sale. This is the first thing your potential customers will see so it’s important to be very mindful and intentional about what you put on your listing. Here are a few key tips you should follow:
- Be accurate about your used item’s condition. Amazon has specific guidelines about an item’s condition so try to be as straightforward as you can when describing the product you are trying to sell.
- Include precise keywords on your product titles. Doing so will let potential buyers know what exactly they’re getting when buying your items. Having relevant keywords plus good SEO practices will improve discoverability and drive traffic to your listings.
- Highlight the features. Specify everything the customer needs to know about your product. Be transparent to gain their trust and ensure them that you’re conducting honest business.
- Use high quality photos. Customers are more likely to buy items that have clear, well-lit photos that showcase your item up for sale.
- Point out the savings. Let your customers know that they’re saving money by buying your used products. They’re essentially getting the same quality as a new product but at a fraction of the original price.
Pricing your items can be tricky. It’s a delicate process that can be the x-factor whether or not you make a sale. So we’re here to give you a few tips that can greatly help with your pricing.
- Find the balance between profitability and competitiveness. Set your prices at a rate that looks enticing but won’t put you under your profit margin.
- Research similar listings.Try to look at the going rate for similar items to help you come up with a pricing strategy. See how much people are willing to pay for the same product you are planning to sell.
- Use a Pricing Strategy. Speaking of pricing strategy, you can employ tactics that seasoned merchants use to help increase their sales. A popular method is Charm Pricing which is basically ending the prices of your products with “.99” or “.95.”
- Factor in the fees. It is important to note that you need to consider the fees that come with selling on Amazon as well as the condition and demand of your product when setting your price. Always be on the lookout for any changes that Amazon may make to their pricing policy.
- Be flexible when it comes to price. You never know when certain products are going to trend depending on the season. Pay attention to the demand of seasonal items so that you can adjust your prices accordingly.
Best Practices and Bonus Tips
You’re probably raring to go selling used items on Amazon. So we’ll help you out by sharing more tips to help you on your way to become an online entrepreneur.
- Research popular niches. Target the right categories. Finding and sticking to a niche is a good way to grow your business. You’ll get a good sense of what would sell well plus you get to build a community of dedicated customers.
- Provide excellent customer service. Customers will tend to patronize your products more if you give them great service. Make them feel like they really matter to you and go the extra mile by engaging with them to build a rapport.
- Always research the current market. Keep an eye on what sells and what doesn’t on Amazon so you can make sure you’re on top of your products.
- Be transparent. Honesty is the best policy. Make sure you’re being truthful about the conditions and status of whatever products you are selling.
So what are you waiting for?
By following these tips and practices, you’ll be well on your way to being an online entrepreneur. Your next big success could just be a few clicks away. Do you ever wonder why people flock to Amazon to build their online business? Why don’t you see for yourself? Start making money by selling your used items on Amazon today!